Landed straight from Buenos Aires , empan adas , these little turnovers filled with meat and vegetables, are the stars of aperitif evenings with a good glass of Argentinian wine. The chef of the El Santa Evita restaurant , Gonzalo Adlerete Pagés , shares the secrets of this traditional recipe with us.
For 30 empanadas.
The dough :
- Heat the water to 80º C and dilute the pork fat in the water then mix with the flour , kneading as little as possible.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for four hours before rolling to a thickness of 3mm.
- Cut circles 13 cm in diameter.
The “ salsa style ” empan adas :
- Sauté the onion in 50 g of fat, add the condiments and the beef and cook for 3 minutes until the beef is white.
- Add the hot broth and the remaining 150 g of fat. Mix everything, place in a 30x20x10 basin and leave to cool in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Place the potatoes on top of the mixture, then the egg and spring onion .
- Fill the baking tins with a tablespoon, then seal them with a pinch.
- To cook the empanadas you need an oven that reaches 400ºC, otherwise we recommend you to fry them.
Also discover how to make the best croque-monsieur in Paris .